D24281: Add default shortcut to switch to the desktop to the left/right/top/bottom

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Dec 15 14:29:18 GMT 2019

romangg reopened this revision.
romangg added a comment.

  > If thiago is doing the big shortcuts overhaul and says to do this, lets do it.

  He didn't say this. He said it needs to be discussed more and that he is also worried about overloading the arrow keys.

  I am still against this change:

  - This just changes a singular aspect of overall window and VD management and associated shortcuts. The change of keys combinations need to be planed, agreed on and then done together. We did not come to a resolution overall.
  - The arrow keys are way too overloaded now with multiple meanings depending on shortcut being pressed. Unfamiliar users accidentally pressing the wrong combination might end up in a state they do not expect and don't know how to recover from directly (for example moving a window to another VD).
  - The shortcuts here need both hands. A workflow with quick switching of windows between different VDs is not possible.
  - VDs are an advanced concept, so we can offer advanced solutions instead of just copying other system's poor default behavior.
  - The argument brought for earlier that we must rely in our default shortcut selection on users finding them via trial-and-error because of our unintuitive shortcuts KCM is misguided and it is revealing. If that's the current state then we must change that first and not create upon this miserable premise overloaded shortcuts so that users might brute force their way to them.

  My goal is to bolster the usefulness and acceptance of VD-centric workflows long-term. For that switching between VDs and moving windows between VDs needs to be convenient and fast. Currently this is not the case since it is only possible via an (often very small) applet in the task manager and through a context menu on window decorations. Sensible shortcuts could improve this situation but for these I expect them to be usable via **one hand** and with the opposite hand of the mouse hand (normally this means they are accessed with the **left hand**) so user can leave his mouse hand on the mouse. If in the end the combination is Meta+WASD or something else does not matter to me. These are the restrictions I put upon a solution to be found.