D22973: docs: introduce commit message guideline

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 6 16:46:55 BST 2019

romangg created this revision.
romangg added a reviewer: KWin.
Herald added a project: KWin.
Herald added a subscriber: kwin.
romangg requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  We did not have an official guideline on how commit messages are supposed to
  be formatted.

  Inofficially we used something like [compositor] or [platforms/drm] as tags on
  the subject line. But the square brackets in the beginning can lead to issues
  with certain tools.

  This patch specifies an official guideline which is mostly based on the one
  developed in the Angular project:
  https://github.com/angular/angular/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#commit

  Using the existing guideline of another big open source project mostly
  unchanged hopefully allows us to set this guideline once and without major
  changes afterwards.

  Some details had to be changed though to take account of KWin's different
  programming language and internal structure.

BRANCH
  commitMessageGuideline

AFFECTED FILES
  HACKING.md