D18416: [kcmkwin/effects] Relocate KCM to System Settings' "Appearance" section

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 2 15:29:58 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D18416#505727 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18416#505727>, @zzag wrote:

  > In D18416#505716 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18416#505716>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > It misleadingly includes the word "Desktop", which in the typical user's understanding for this context, is the thing with the wallpaper that has files and folders and icons on it.
  >

  > People have been using "desktop effects" term since Compiz was all the rage and perhaps even before that. So, I doubt the "desktop" part causes confusion.

  Regular users don't have any idea what Compiz is (or was). Our user interfaces are designed for normal people, not technical experts.

  Anyway, we can continue the discussion in D22894 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22894> now that I've submitted it. I wound encourage KWin folks to give the VDG the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the user interface though, the way we have been encouraged to give KWin developers the benefit of the doubt regarding implementation details.