[Ktechlab-devel] customizing ktechlab gui

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:43:48 UTC 2011

  Dear all,

finally I managed to customize the gui provided by kdevplatform.
I'm sending the technical details here:
- as Julian already figured out, trying to set a custom main window
    is not a practical approach, because the application will crash;
    also the main window is too tightly coupled with the rest of
    kdevplatform
- customizing the kdevplatform GUI can be done from a plugin,
    by overriding
    IPlugin::createActionsForMainWindow
- in the above mentioned method, the XML for the GUI can be set,
    the actions for the gui can be created,
    and finally
    window->setupGUI()
    has to be called, for applying the gui
- automatic loading of the project plugins doesn't seem to work
    on my system (kdevplatform 1.0.0), so for now
    I'm propsing to load the project plugins
    explicitly from main, as a workaround.
    It doesn't hurt, if the plugin is already loaded.

Code can be found in the "new-gui" branch, on github and on sourceforge.

https://github.com/ktechlab/ktechlab/tree/new-gui

http://ktechlab.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ktechlab/ktl-zoltan_p;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/new-gui

Best regards,

 Zoltan