[Ktechlab-devel] Project components dependencies

P Zoltan zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:37:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:42:21 +0100, Julian Bäume <julian at svg4all.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 January 2010 01:30:30 P Zoltan wrote:
> Yes, it's KDE3.. Seems, you are trying to print something of the wrong
> type
> here. You need to overload the stream operator for that type (if it's
> not a
> KDE/Qt type) to use it with kdDebug(). I've never done that, so you
> should
> consult the Qt documentation (kdDebug() should behave similar to
> qDebug() in
> this matter)

This is strange: as you mentioned in the next mail, there was almost
nothing to port in /src/math, but the only thing I've done was to copy
/src/math from svn (~ rev. 550 ?), and try to compile them only with Qt.

>>   The question is, what should be done? Port the code to KDE4 or use
>> standard (or Qt's) output methdos, which remove the dependency of math
>> related classes on KDE (this is the logical way for me).
>>   When something works, I'll push it to git; also change the files in
>> SVN?
>>
>>   What's your opinion?
> I'd suggest the following: Since you need to implement the test-cases,
> anyway.
> Why not doing it using Qts testing framework. You can use the recent API
> of
> the math classes and implement it as Qt4 test-cases. You might want to
> borrow
> some ideas and code from some of KDEs test-cases (may be KDevPlatform
> test-
> cases would be a good start). You should do all that on a local copy of
> thestillkde4-port branch in my repository. I can help creating cmake
> code to
> automatically run the tests. After finishing the tests, or during writing
> them.. or whenever, the math-classes should be ported to use KDE4/Qt4
> classes.
>
> Since KDE will be a dependency anyway, I don't see the point, why we
> shouldn't
> use it. Do we really want to make parts of the project independent from
> KDE/Qt? I don't know of any projects, other then KTechLab, that could
> re-use
> our code. kDebug() from KDE4 has quite some nice features, so I always
> use it
> when printing debug-output. It's easily possible to hide/show
> debug-output
> from different components, during runtime. (see kdebugdialog) And it
> will not
> produce any object code when compiled in release mode.
>
> So there are 2 benefits when writing the tests for KDE/Qt4:
> (1) we got some nice test cases and can automatically run them from cmake
> (2) math-related classes are ported to Qt4 and can be used, soon

  Actually I was following Qt4's testing tutorial. I've generated a project
and makefile with qmake-qt4, so it didn't include any KDE stuff. That's
why I've got the error. I want to create tests using qt's infrastructure,
as it looks really nice and simple.

  Thank you for cmake files, as those are a bit complicated for me, yet.

  I'll check out all the repositories and make something working, probabily
until sunday.

> I don't think, we should invest much of our time into creating new code
> for
> the kde3 version, any longer.

  Agreed.