[Ktechlab-devel] Urgency of KDE4 port. =(

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 5 02:48:13 UTC 2009

P Zoltan wrote:
>> I'm too stupid to figure out how to pull the kde4 git archive mentioned
>> the other day, I really do need help! =(
>
>   Something like git clone should be used...
>
>   For example, a howto is here:
>    http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

Thanks, but the real problem is that I don't know what URL to use as the
repository location, what path, etc... =( Sourceforge is nice because it
has instructions for that. =\

>   In something new, there's always a risk. Luckily for ktechlab we have a
> lot of code that nobody dares to touch, because it would break in
> unimaginable ways/locations. So a rewrite about which we know how does it
> work is not an issue.

That doesn't follow. You're just adding to the mess with a bit that you
understand but everyone else doesn't.

I've been through most of ktechlab's code and I am very willing, eager
even, to explain what I've learned.

>   Electronic point of view != programming point of view.

>   A design where the core only manages components looks very feasable to
> me. Any component should be threated in equal way.
>   For example some audio player apps come with ogg, mp3, ... decoders as
> plugins, even if the program would be useless without them.

This is not the same thing. In this domain, it makes very much sense for
 the basic circuit elements, and their permutations, to be built-in.

>> The key to avoiding these mistakes is to maintain strict discipline. Do
>> NOTHING besides what is absolutely required to complete the port.

>   I have a very different view on this. Better write a maintainable
> program, mark it as something experimental, and add all the features from
> the previous version. Until all the features are completed, support the
> old version. If there are no outstanding bugs or missing functionality,
> consider the new version the stable one.

I've put in a vast amount of effort to improve the maintainability of
ktechlab. Many parts of the program are actually beginning to flirt with
Good Design(tm). A total rewrite is insane. Experience is showing that
most people tend to get overconfident in the rewrite and tend to forget
about problems that had been addressed in the old design and to become
far far too overambitious in the use of new features that may be
untested or broken. The quality of the finished product suffers greatly
for it.

>   You can't completely remove the KDE dependency. Maybe separate a part of
> the program in a library, that doesn't use Qt or KDE, but the GUI will
> depend on it any way.

Indeed. Much of ktechlab's current magic is in its UI. It will take a
superbly talented programmer to match what was put in place by the
project's initial authors.

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.