[Ktechlab-devel] I finally got KTechLab compiled...!

P Zoltan zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 12:32:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:54:43 +0200, <thomas at tgohome.com> wrote:

> I finally got KTechLab compiled... using KDevelop. I was very happy, this
> being the first time I've ever compiled a third-party app of any
> significant size.
>
> Now I have compiled it, I would like to make some modifications. (And
> release them later.) It's a little project for me, as I'm very interested
> in electronics.
>
> It would be nice if I could add a component type database where you can
> select the model of component and get some standard characteristics (e.g.
> for a NPN transistor, you could get gain, maximum collector-emitter
> current, etc.) These characteristics could be used to determine if the
> device is being run past specifications, which could trigger a warning
> icon next to the device, for example.

  Yes, that would be nice; you should think of something general enough to
use for all components. Alan has some similar ideas, you should discuss
about it.

  Also, when running past of maximum allowed specs, it would be cool to
have some kind of smoke animation on the device.

> However, I need to add a property, which lets users select the device
> (e.g. "2N2222A" from "ST Micro"), so that these characteristics can be
> loaded. Any ideas on how this could be done? I tried this:
>
> 	v = createProperty("P_C", Variant::Type::String);
> 	v->setCaption("Part Code");
> 	v->setValue("2N2222A");
>
> But it only lets me select integer/decimal values, and the title doesn't
> come up. Any ideas on creating an option box or drop down?

  There are components that use such functionality, so you could get
inspiration from there -- and also get familiar with the code ;)

  Personally I haven't tried to do such things, as there are more serious
problems in the "deeper" parts of the program. Still, I'll try to help.

> All help appreciated.
> Tom

   Zoltan