[Ktechlab-devel] Porting to Qt 4 --> I'd like to help

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Sun Feb 8 21:11:41 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 February 2009 21:40:00 Alan Grimes wrote:
> Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I'm really keen for your feedback. =)
>
> Yes, I'm in favor of a more direct port of Ktechlab to 4.x.
I thought about that. But the more I read in the code, the more I saw the need
of some design changes, that are needed sooner or later.

> The idea of integrating it with kdevelop to a greater extent is
> interesting and has a great deal of potential... (wonder if you could
> flowpart a C program or something. =P)
It won't integrate directly into kdevelop, just use some of their
infrastructure. But basically your right, of course.

> But it is good dicipline to keep to the smallest number of incremental
> changes at a time, even if the intermediate results aren't optimal.
True, but hard to manage if each change you need to do is a quite large step
in the project.

> Right now the tree is frozen for release. I'm not sure what the best
> practices are with SVN, but I hope the SVN administrator will create a
> 0.4 fork as soon as possible so that the multitude of efforts at the 4.x
> port can be integrated and testing can begin.
There already is a branch in SVN containing the next stable release. I
manually backported all bug-fixes from trunk. If this branch is considered
stable, we can tag it as released and create packages from that copy. Trunk
could be opened for development again. I don't see anything against doing so.
If there is the need to create bug-fixes for the new stable release, we could
easily provide fixes and release another bug-fix release in the 0.3.x series.

> My own system is somewhat messed up from installing 4.2, but I think I
> have a working tree. I'm going to make a from-scratch build and push a
> few fixes into SVN. I just found some problems in Makefile.in... Anyway.
I partly broke my gentoo, too, when upgrading from KDE4.1 to 4.2. It was way
more easy to install 4.x and remove old KDE3 packets. ;)

I think I need to go home now. Getting quite late here. I will write some more
on the whole topic tomorrow and hopefully will have cgit running on one of my
machines.

Bye then
julian