[Ktechlab-devel] simulator

P Zoltan zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 00:07:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 02:09:13 +0100, Julian Bäume <julian at svg4all.de> wrote:

> On Friday 07 November 2008 01:14:35 Glen wrote:
>> Is there any direction / ideas for what direction the simulator should
>> go? I have my own ideas, especially now since I've probed the code a
>> little bit, but what's really better for the project?
> Some time ago, it was mentioned on the list, that the actual code won't
> scale.
> So it's really hard to add new components to the simulator. We need a
> way to
> define components more easy.

  Actually the components are hard-coded in the program, so to change them,
you need to recompile ktechlab. That's a huge problem, imo.

> XML would be something to mention here. I don't
> see the problem to do something like that with the visualisation part,
> but for
> the simulator I don't see a good way to do it.

  I think the models can be also defined in XML; I've mentioned this on the
list earlier:
some 'basic' components should be defined in the program and everything
else threated as subcircuit. So in XML we should describe two things: the
symbol for the new component and the equivalent subcircuit as the model.
  As I know, spice does something similar: there are some basic parts, and
the more complex ciruits are threated as subcircuits.

  Things get tricky when we want to define some interactive components with
XML. For that we might need some expression-evaluation algorithms.

> There is a wiki page for features:
> http://ktechlab.org/wiki/index.php?title=DEVEL:Feature_Request

  BTW Wiki: can the wiki made read-only for not registered readers? When I
look at the recent changes, I see 99% spam / spam deleted.