[Ktechlab-devel] New guy <--

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 7 02:54:42 UTC 2008

Glen wrote:

> I've been through the feature requests and I have a few of my own.
> Spectrum analyzer, transformers (air core, ironcore, pot, toroidal,
> etc), with configurable primaries and secondaries, etc., etc.

Yes, there are different schematic symbols for air and iron core... The
advantage of air core is that it doesn't experience hysterisis. (sp?).
The disadvantage is that it's permeability is very low so that magnetic
fields tend to spray all over the place and are very sparse. (I've seen
this as a power transformer go into saturation both in cheap ratshack
equalizer equipment and in a power controller I was working on...) To
get started, we could pretend that the iron core weighs ten tons and has
a constant permeability, otherwise the transformer becomes a nonlinear
component..

The only difference between the EI core inductor and the toroid core is
that the torroids behave differently as they approach saturation,
otherwise there is little difference...

> Well, I was thinking that before a half million components are made,
> the simulation engine should be as generalized as possible.

The problem with capacitors (why there are special "do nonlinear"
(reactive) classes, is that there is no way to add "flux" or "charge"
nodes... In a capacitor, the amount of current going into the cap
changes the charge, this is currently handled in the element classes...

In a transformer, each winding has a specific coupling to the flux of
the core, a voltage placed across the primary, is coupled to the
magnetic flux of the inductor until the flux changes to reflect the
amount of current flowing through it...

That is probably the most significant change I want to make to the
simulator, to convert these class variables and put them in the
matrix.... CAVEAT: I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS IDEA MATHEMATICALLY, MIGHT NOT
WORK!!!

> But before
> new components are added, a new way of adding them seems worthwhile.
> Basically I'm just looking to start a discussion on how people would
> like to see it organized.

I've done some preliminary work on that. The big issue is that the
save-file system is currently all done through QT calls... If we're
changing QT, then we're waiting for the QT4 port... I do have QT4 on my
gentoo machine but I'm still on KTlibs V3...

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.