[Ktechlab-devel] Start a ktechlab yahoo group

Mauricio Giovagnini maugiovagnini at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jun 4 11:53:25 UTC 2008

Lawrence Shafer escribió:
> I like mailing lists a lot better myself because I can keep track of a
> lot more through my inbox than if I had to track a website all the time,
> times a dozen.... Aslo, it's a quick punch of the compose button to get
> help. I love it, but maybe I'm just old school.

I think both approaches have its pros and cons.  I am member
of both kind of communities: e-mail lists and forums.  The
email lists had a huge boost when the mail clients let group
the mails in a tree way with a sort of intelligent algorithm
tracking not only the subject but also the replies.

On the other hand the forum let new users take a fast watch
on their problem and the possible solution.  It's more
natural for them to read a forum (its a web page in fact)
than to subscribing to a mail list , asking and waiting for
an answer.  Even tracking old questions can be a little bit
annoying to a new user, no matter if the mail list is
published in the internet with a "next/previous" button to
follow the mails.

Anyway as it has been said, the problem of Ktechlab right
now its not its "user base", no matter if its small or huge,
the mail problem is to find a way to continue developing it
without having to deal with a net of objects hierarchy
(There's a post from Alan Grimes that explains this very
well).  As far as I know and as far as I see Ktechlab needs
a deep change in this area rather than being translated to a
thousand languages and or to adding more devices.

I thought I could contribute adding more PICs but I realized
that a deep change in how components are added is a much
bigger priority.  Adding new components in the actual way of
coding will only add more chaos to the maintenance of the
project.

As a resume I think the project is not killed, dying or
anything like that.  Ktechlab is a project that needs a deep
reformulation on how new electronic components are added and
modified.  After having done that, the project will boost
itself because the translating effort won't be in vain, the
community could add more and more device and post them in a
mail list or forum and so on.

I like to think on Ktechlab as a race car that needs a
change in its engine.  If we change its engine (the way
components are added) we can win the race :)

Mauricio Giovagnini (Maunix)
www.maunix.com.ar
Cordoba, Arg.
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mgiovagnini