Question about Polar Align function - Kstars-devel Digest, Vol 238, Issue 4

Patrick Molenaar pr_molenaar at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 17 07:24:19 GMT 2023

Hi,

I have experienced the same thing a few months ago (I haven't got to trying it again due to the bad weather in the Netherlands). I am also a big fan of KStars/EKOS. I use an RPi-4 with Rasbian and the latest KStars installed. I have a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro mount connected to it.
I also noticed when using the Polar alignment function that my mount didn't stop slewing. The first time my telescope did hit the mount. Luckely it didn't damage the mount. I had to manually put the mount in zero position and realign the mount again (using 3-star alignment function on my mount). I did restart my RPi-4 if I remember correctly and then after connecting KStars again to my mount, I tried the polar alignment again. And again I noticed the the mount did not stop slewing. It continued for more then 100 degrees, until I manually stopped the motion by clicking the mount stop button in the KStars mount control window.
I retried the polar alignment several times, going west, going east, I even tried reducing the rotation angle to 15 degrees instead of 30, but each try the mount kept rotating without stopping. Eventually I gave up for that night and didn't had a change to try it again afterwards.

In the past it had worked fine. I am now a bit reluctant to use it again when I am not near my mount to stop it. I hope there is a solution for this.

Kind regards,

Patrick

Message: 1