An issue with the value of m_Camera->hasGuideHead()

joseph.mcgee at sbcglobal.net joseph.mcgee at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 28 05:13:47 BST 2023

Hi All,

I recently refreshed my Raspberry Pi4 to Ubuntu 22.04 and also upgraded
KStars  to 3.6.4 Stable.  I'm hesitant to report the following issue as
a bug because it's likely that I have a miss configuration, caused by my
upgrade process.

Last night was the first test with the upgraded Pi.  But I ran into a
problem with guiding;  When I started an imaging capture the guiding
failed. I soon realized that guiding was using my imaging camera instead
of my guide camera; so the imaging capture was conflicting with guiding.

Today I was able to reproduce this issue on my desktop pc using the same
cameras, (but running the telescope simulator instead of my mount).

I traced the problem of the guider selecting my imaging camera to this
line of code:

     guide.cpp:739    ISD::CameraChip *targetChip =
m_Camera->getChip(useGuideHead ? ISD::CameraChip::GUIDE_CCD :
ISD::CameraChip::PRIMARY_CCD);

this is combined with the fact that the guide camera I use (an ASI-290mm
-Mini), is returning a false on the call to hasGuideHead().  (Just to be
clear, my imaging camera does not even have a guide port.)

I looked a bit further into the code, and discovered that a property
named GUIDER_EXPOSURE would need to be included in guide camera
definition order for the HasGuideHead value to be true. This property is
not being found by indicamera for my ASI-290mm - Mini.  This property
appears to be part of CustomProperties, but it's also in a list
(skipProperties), so I think that even if it were being set, it would be
ignored.

So, I'm quite lost at this point; and would appreciate any help from you
all.

Thanks