Shell Script To Build From Source Full Kstars (Kstars + INDI + INDI 3rd party Drivers + StellarSolver) On Debian 11 (Bullseye).

Robert Lancaster rlancaste at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:06:40 BST 2022

Hi there,

Very nice, it is good to see additional people creating build scripts.  I have made a bunch of these myself since I think it is much easier to get started with a build & setup script than in trying to do each step by yourself from the command line.  Please take a look at the currently existing scripts as well, you might find you can make some improvements to yours and/or you could provide some suggestions on how to improve the others.  Collaboration makes everything better.  I am not sure we would want to put any one as the official build script on any page, since there are many different setups and computer systems out there with many different configurations, but we can provide links to several including yours on the various KStars/INDI pages on the web, along with explanations of how they can be used.  Currently the closest thing I think we have to that kind of an index is this page: https://indilib.org/raspberry-pi.html, which is kind of buried on the INDI website.  I am also not sure we should put links to build scripts on the kde.org page since they might have rules about this?  I’m not sure about this.  I agree that we should probably make these scripts more obvious somewhere so people can get started with fewer issues.  Would you want to create a GitHub page for your script so that people can find it online and download it to run it on their systems?  Here are some scripts below, including some that I made and some that other people made.

Here are the various ones I have made for numerous setups (can work for SBCs, Raspberry Pis, or full Linux computers of various distros):  https://github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3 <https://github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3>
Here are two that I made that work for MacOS, but the first is currently better than the second: https://github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft <https://github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft> ,   https://github.com/rlancaste/KStars-INDI-Mac-Dev <https://github.com/rlancaste/KStars-INDI-Mac-Dev>
Here are two that I made for windows, intended for two different setups: https://github.com/rlancaste/CygwinINDI <https://github.com/rlancaste/CygwinINDI> , https://github.com/rlancaste/WindowsSubINDI <https://github.com/rlancaste/WindowsSubINDI>

Here is one from Jerry Black that builds nightly indi and kstars:  https://github.com/JerryBlack/buildKstarsNightlyFromGit
Here is one from Patrick Chefalley that builds indi on Mac to put it into another program (this was a project we collaborated on): https://github.com/pchev/indi-mac
Here is one from Nou that builds indi and kstars: https://gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-build

There are also several scripts that build images for an SBC, or download images to an SBC, but I assume that is not what we are looking for here.  There are also the build scripts in the actual repos that are used for build testing such as (circleci or travis) or for making automatic releases for people to download (such as craft and launchpad).  I am also pretty sure there were several other shell scripts that I recall seeing posted in forums, but unfortunately if they just get posted in a forum or sent in an email it becomes much harder to find them later.  I would agree that we need a centralized index probably somewhere on the INDI website, but probably not buried under Raspberry Pi like it is now.

Thanks,

Rob