Problems building on Ubuntu 21

Hy Murveit murveit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:19:18 GMT 2021

Martin,

I really don't know the ins and outs of how the build is put
together--Jasem is certainly the expert on building KStars--but I do build
it all the time, and would like to share some things that have worked for
me when I've run into trouble.

1- I find that I need to install the released KStars and Indi before I
build from scratch. (I don't mean every time I build, but rather when I'm
first putting together the environment.) There are some things that are not
in the build that seem to be "put in place" by the install, e.g. perhaps
TZrules.dat is one of those.

2- Get familiar with the "sudo apt-cache search ..." command. For instance:

> *sudo apt-cache search kdoctools *
kdoctools-dev - transitional dummy package
kdoctools5 - Tools to generate documentation in various formats from DocBook
libkf5doctools-dev - Development files for kdoctools5
libkf5doctools5 - Tools to generate documentation in various formats from
DocBook

3- You're likely going to need a library that ends in "-dev" to help you
build.

For sure, the instructions should work, and you shouldn't "need" to know
these things, but libraries change, versions of Ubuntu are slightly
different, etc etc and it is useful to have these tools to help you
investigate.

Hy