Unable to seach on small stars.

Valentin Boettcher hiro at protagon.space
Fri Nov 26 18:16:28 GMT 2021

On 11/26/21 16:44, Patrick Molenaar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to search for a specific star. In KStars I have installed
> the star catalog up to magnitude 12.5. When I search for a faint star,
> e.g. HD 5897 (in Andromeda), then the search dialog will not find it.
> Though the star is displayed in KStars. And when I right click the star
> it shows me its information (name, magnitude, constellation, rise,
> transit and set times etc.).
>
> Is this a known issue, or is my database somehow corrupted 🙁.
>
> Currently I manually search for the stars and mark them with a flag.
> Then when creating a schedule, I can center the flagged object in the
> center of my screen and let the scheduler get the coordinates of the
> centered object. But this is quite a work around, while finding the star
> directly is much faster.
>
> I am looking forward to a reply.
>
> Kind regards,
> Patrick

Hi,

The reason for your inability to search for these stars is that they are
not necessarily in memory all the time. The search dialog assumes that
there is a list of all objects in memory through which it can search. I
encountered the same problem when I did my DSO overhaul in KStars. A
similar hack may be implemented for faint stars...

--
Cheers,
Valentin