KStars Developers Hangout #1

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Tue Apr 14 18:49:32 BST 2020

Hello everyone,

It was a great pleasure and a privilege to talk to all of you online
earlier today. The roughly 90 minutes hangouts meeting that was moderated
by Mr. Hy Murveit went quite well. I believe it was quite fruitful with
lots of discussions and ideas shared by everyone.

Below, I tried to summarize some main points/comments made by all. We
should probably dive into the details of some. Probably the communication
aspect is of great importance in order to keep all developers in sync. This
mailing list has been active for probably more than 20 years. It might not
be the most optimal communication platform at this day and age, but it is
still reliable. I am open to new communication platforms as well.
Currently, we have the mailing list + KStars Web Chat room (for
developers). Please suggest any alternative methods of communication that
you find suitable for long term. A private/public forum can perhaps be
useful? or stick to the mailing list?

At any rate, here goes the main ideas of the meeting:

Jasem
Private forum? public forum?

Hy
---

1. Complete Session Recording? Real-Time Analyzer.
2. KStars needs vision & plan.
3. How is the system used? What features are utilized by users?
4. Opt-in switch to try new features or development?
5. Collect data from users such as images to build a database that can be
used for analysis in the future.

Wolfgang
-------------

1. Stability & Robustness.
2. Code needs to be broken down and splitted into more manageable units.
3. More documentation for all modules, especially capture.
4. Modular "Modules" that are separate and replaceable.
5. Adopt specific development architecture to follow.
6. Developer Documentation.

Eric
------

1. KDE's CI should execute the unit tests, not just build them.
2. Phabricator testing running on master, not on PR branch. How to fix it?
3. Electronically Assisted Astronomy: Internal + External like Guide module.
4. Settings Serialization for All Ekos Modules.
5. More testing + GUI Testings.
6. Long term goal to support Multiple CCDs + Multiple Telescopes.
7. Primary objective: complete automation using Scheduler.
8. Share equipment to the database and let users download optimal settings.

Robert

1. Very Steep learning curve to get started on KStars development.
2. Create youtube videos for KStars/Ekos.
3. Make it easier for people to USE and CODE for KStars.
4. We should all test SexySolver, including HFR in order to fine tune to
the variables.
5. Add doxygen documentation to all Ekos.

--
Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq