Problem with Ekos/kStars 3.2.2 and Astrometry

Stanley Fertig stanleyf at nyc.rr.com
Sat May 25 21:06:08 BST 2019

Hi all,

I’m a kStars/Ekos user—gave up Maxim DL for it a year ago— with my 12” LX200, SBIG STF8300M, Moonlite focuser, etc.

I was very happy with version 3.0.0, which I ran on my Macbook Air to run the above equipment.  I downloaded all the Astrometry.net <http://astrometry.net/> index files because my scope is located in a mountain location with no internet access.  Plate solving was always slow the first run, then worked fine for any session.

Last week I updated to version 3.2.2.  Everything works fine except:  as soon as I click on “Capture & Solve” the plate solving crashes.  Doesn’t just fail to solve, it crashes within one second of taking an image, and says that it “crashed.”

I checked, the index files haven’t moved, I haven’t changed anything else except perhaps updated OS X to the latest production version (10.14.5).

Last night I tried running version 3.0.0 again—was able to restore a copy from a backup—and the plate solving did not crash.  (But because I was in NYC, there weren’t enough visible stars for it to solve!!).

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is this an issue you’re aware of?  Is there something I can do to get plate solving to work in 3.2.2?

Many thanks,
stan in Brooklyn

PS—I just would like to say, I LOVE Ekos.  It’s nice to have a platform-independent solution which continues to improve.

--
Stanley Fertig
35 Sidney Place
stanleyf at nyc.rr.com