Online asteroid data -> wish list?

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Mar 16 15:17:06 UTC 2018

Dear Jasem,

On 3/16/18 3:07 PM, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> If you have a method to automate this process, we can include it in
> KStars.
You need it as C++ to remain compatible with Windows, I presume.
Otherwise a fairly quick wget+awk combination would do it. I happily
start out with something like that so we all learn what this could like
like and what incompatibilities (if any) with the JPL the MPC data
generates. I could also just have a "neocp_" prefix for all identifiers
to get going.
> But we're getting our astroid data from JPL and not MPC, so that's the
> problem here. Perhaps we can support more than one source of data.
https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbwobs.cgi comes to mind. It yields something like

                                                              Apparent (mid-dark)
                                  Rise  Trans.  Set    Max.T    R.A.      Dec.     Vmag     R  Delta  O-E-M
   IAU# Object Name              hh:mm* hh:mm* hh:mm*  hh:mm  hh:mm:ss +dd mm'ss"         (AU)  (AU)  (deg)
------ -----------------------  ------ ------ ------  -----  -------------------  -----  ----  ----  -----
        1927 LA  <https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=1927 LA>                   21:32* 01:02  04:32   04:11  07:58:50 +00 42'36"  14.9   2.31  1.62  125.5
        1939 RR  <https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=1939 RR>                   07:34  12:25* 17:16*  01:44  19:23:23 -32 02'56"  18.0   3.10  3.31  64.51
        1989 FR  <https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=1989 FR>                   04:11  09:00  13:48*  05:07  15:57:41 -31 00'36"  18.0   2.51  1.95  107.9
        1992 TY1  <https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=1992 TY1>                  07:00  11:03* 15:06*  02:17  18:01:39 -10 32'30"  18.5   2.96  2.85  82.80

And to actually go for the object we first need have have its ephemeris generated.
I better take a break, though, since I just spotted that the RA and Dec for the ephemeres
generated by JPL Horizon is very different from the position delared above ... checked telescope location twice.
The ephemeres generated by MPC for that object and the same location however fits with the JPL data shown above.

So, the plan is to import this as a catalog, right? Can you please help me with the object
code for asteroids? It is not listed on https://docs.kde.org/ trunk5/en/extragear-edu/kstars/kstars.pdf page 26.
I can find it in the kstars sources if this is something you want me to do.

Cheers,

Steffen