Online asteroid data -> wish list?

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Mar 13 08:50:59 UTC 2018

Dear KStars-Team,

There are multiple web sites out there that support amateur astronomers
with the prioritization of their asteroidal observations. I mean, there
is no chance for kstars to know this offline since only the MPC knows
when a newly reported asteroid needs a confirmation. These are somewhat
tricky at times in that even when you are granted the opportunity to
specify the geographic location of your telescope, these do not
necessarily state the exact time at which it is available (which you
need to ask for the ephemerides in a second step) or the object is so
low above the horizon that one would shy away from it. So, I'd very much
like to see these dynamically created web sites auto-feed my wish list
and fall back to the comfort of kstars.

Would that be desirable? If so, then I propose to contact the
provider(s) of these web sites about the degree they want to support any
such project e.g. by a XML/JSON version of their output if they don't
have it already or the parsing could be a first code contribution of
mine. These sites also differ in the extra information these offer about
the asteroid. Once could such also consider to extend the data model
that represents asteroids in kstars with such dynamic information. To
mind comes the date at which the asteroid was last observed.

Please kindly instruct me about what I should do towards any such
development.

With kind regards,

Steffen