kstars <-> orbfit (<-> astrometrica) ?

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Nov 12 15:48:51 UTC 2017

Hello,

I wished to have a bit more time to follow my interest in astronomy. So,
I thought I should at least follow the music of this mailing list. You
may have some interest in me as a Debian Developer, just ping me if
there is something I should address.

Something I came up with myself is the Linux tool OrbFit
(http://adams.dm.unipi.it/orbfit/). After a bit of a peek in this
mailing list's archive I found
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kstars-devel/2017-September/006649.html
which suggests to access a public service for known solar objects. Is
there a workflow in kstars to also allow predictions for the orbits of
yet unknown solar objects? If I get this right then this would be more
of a challenge for asteroid-hunting Astrometrica
(http://www.astrometrica.at/) on Windows, i.e. with Wine on Linux (works!).

I happily offer to package OrbFit for Debian/Ubuntu/... if that helps
preparing any such development.

Best regards,

Steffen <moeller at debian.org>