SoK project is done

Cojocaru Raphael raphael.cojocaru at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:17:09 UTC 2017

Hi guys!

As you probably know, this year KStars took part in Season of KDE program.
Our project was called “Update KStars Images for Messier Objects” and aimed
to collect a new and complete set of images for the whole Messier Catalog
along with orientation (angle from north) and pixel scale (arcsecs/pixel)
for each object.   The project was a real success, having Aniketh as
student. He worked constantly and followed all the required steps for
completing this project.   Firstly, we had to find out the best sources. A
good source was a reliable source and at the same time a source that
provides us the data needed (orientation and pixel scale) along with the
image itself.

After we found the sources for each Messier object, Aniketh collected the
data and took care of the image background. All the images had to be processed
for overlaying onto KStars SkyMap, so each of them must have transparency
where the background sky is. Aniketh came with a clever idea and thus,
removing the background has been done easily by using a Python program.
Also, if for any Messier object the data required was missing, Aniketh
asked the author personally in order to get it.

The next and final step was solving the legal issues regarding authors’
rights. After a discussion with Jasem, we decided over a CC license (
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ ). Then, Aniketh asked all
authors if they agree with it. He succeeded on this too, all authors giving
their permission.

All the work can be found in the following public repository:

https://github.com/Aniketh01/SoK-KStars

As I suggested, for each Messier object, Aniketh kept the following:

-         The image processed

-         The original image (raw image)

-         The data

-         An evidence of copyright approval

Now, since this project is complete, the images can be integrated in KStars
and thus, the old images can be replaced.

Best regards,

Raphael