NGC Thumbnails

John S. myxlflik at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 18 19:01:02 UTC 2017

Jasem,

You can use my last name (Sadler) for the credit on the packages.  I played around with the data some more and have gotten a few images to come out acceptably, but most of completely out of balance when you convert them to RGB.  I think I found out why.  One of my underlying assumptions about the DSS data appears to be incorrect.  Although the original DSS survey is monochrome, it does not appear to be filtered.  It appears to be visible light.  Obviously when you assign full spectrum to one channel it's going to play all kinds of havok with the balance of the channels.  I am not certain if there is a practical way to deal with the data, but perhaps a 'green' channel can be extracted by subtracting the red and blue channels from the DSS green channel.  This all would require significant effort but may yield results and be worthwhile if we can find a way to do it in a batch manner.  I can certainly pull all three channels separately and start playing to see if I get any kind of real results.  I will let you know what I find out.

John