[Kstars-devel] Catalog artefacts in USNO NOMAD

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:02:27 UTC 2016

Dear Jasem

> I did note that sometimes suddenly a whole patch of stars would cloud a
> certain region of the sky. It's random I'm not sure what triggers it. How

Are you sure it's random? This happens at a sufficient zoom level near
Sagittarius teapot in my case, and it's a catalog artefact due to the
core of the Milky Way being there.

> did you generate this image exactly? from the eye piece view?

Yes, this was from the eyepiece view. Right click on NGC 891,
"Simulate Eyepiece View", I choose an FOV corresponding to my 10mm
eyepiece which is about 15', and then hit "Fetch DSS".