[Kstars-devel] Clipping artwork on the border of skymap

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 23:45:32 UTC 2015

> Hi,
>
> I have completed Western and Inuit sky culture artwork in KStars. The
> artwork is currently displaying completely on the border of the sky map. I
> want to make it clip such that it displays only the portion of the artwork
> which is "on" the sky map and not the one that goes out of the sphere. How
> can this be achieved? To see how KStars looks currently please see this.

Hi Adityan,

I think it's not time for polishing yet because the shape of
constellation drawings does not follow projection of stars. I've been
telling you about this for one month and a half already.

In the attached screenshots I show how stars and constellation art is
transformed differently:
 - On the first picture one of the celestial objects (1999 K2) is
found at the bear's hand,
 - On the second picture the same object is found above the bear's head.
(KStars is configured for Lambert Azimuthal Equal-area projection.)

Please try to avoid the possible situation where you spend time on
clipping the artwork, but then it turns out that the current approach
is not acceptable (I think it is not acceptable, but won't say for
everyone), so you have to rewrite the code, and thus all your clipping
code becomes useless.

--
Alexander Potashev