[Kstars-devel] Displaying constellation image correctly

M.S. Adityan msadityan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 17:50:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

Presently KStars is able to display the image of Andromeda, but the
scale/rotation of the image needs work. Here is what I propose to do. The
image translates from the midpoint. So the midpoint of the image can be
made to coincide with the midpoint of the constellation. The midpoint of
the constellation can be found here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_modern_constellations_by_area

We can define a boundary rectangle, inside which the image needs to fit.
This boundary rectangle can be defined by choosing the corner most stars in
the constellation. Also the center of the boundary rectangle will be the
midpoint of the constellation. This is what I propose to do.

Can anyone help me with a simpler way of doing this? Is there a simple way
to map the pixel coordinates to the sky coordinates, and draw the image
such that the pixel and the star corresponding to it always coincide?

Thanks!
Regards,
M.S.Adityan
Website: www.msadityan.com