[Kstars-devel] HTMesh Perl module?

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 6 06:12:04 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 09:09 AM, Jasem Mutlaq said:
> I'm trying to figure out the data --> mysql --> binary format workflow
> under data/tools. However, I am not stuck since it requires HTMesh.pm
> perl module  and I can't seem to find that anywhere? Any help
> appreciated.

I made an HTMesh.pm Perl module 7 or 8 years ago when I was adding
HTMesh to KStars.  IIRC, it was only for my own testing during early
development.  I am surprised that anything would depend upon it but
I suppose it would make sense to use something like it for creating
binary data files since you need to know about the HTMesh for binning
the stars.

For kicks, I tried to rebuild the module but it failed at the linker
stage due to a problem with -fPIC.

This was back in the KDE-3.x days.  It used the dcop interface to draw
HTMesh elements in KStars which was pretty cool.  AFAIK, none of that
interface survived the switch to dbus.  But that is independent of the
HTMesh.pm module which was just a wrapper to let Perl programs use the
HTMesh library.

I can send you the code and the code for creating the htmesh library
but that code does not compile now either.  If KStars still uses
HTMesh then you should have a working version of the htmesh library
around somewhere.

Peace, James

              Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
                                             -- Richard Feynman