[Kstars-devel] Eclipse tool

Daniel Baboiu daniel.baboiu at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 16 06:26:41 UTC 2015

For one thing, I'd have a separate tool for eclipses and occultations,
For one thing, there are selection criteria that significantly reduce
computing time. For example, eclipses occur only in April/October
(currently), so there is no point to calculate a potential eclipse in
August. Of course, the real selection criterion is more complicated than
that. But working through mathematical formula is my kind of fun.

I'm thinking that the tool will display a list of events of the selected
kind, just like the current conjunction tool. The extra information
would be displayed in a separate dialog, once the candidate is
selected.

There is no closeness parameter for the eclipses and occultations, these
will be automatically set by the algorithm. I'll start with moon
eclipses since the algorithm is much easier, and they are NOT
site-dependent; all that matters is that the moon is above the horizon.
Extra data will be modeled after NASA's lunar eclipses:
* Outer penumbra contacts
* Outer umbra contacts
* Inner umbra contacts
(these will be displayed in chronological order)
* Ecliptic conjunction
* Time of greatest eclipse
* Phase of umbral eclipse (I don't find much use for the penumbral
parts)

Perhaps the visibility map and eclipse diagram can be added at a later
time, on the same dialog.