[Kstars-devel] Suggestions for a newbie

Daniel Baboiu daniel.baboiu at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 11 16:21:11 UTC 2015

I think the artwork should NOT be original, but from traditional images.
These days, these images are considered just art, but in old times they
were used as a reference to locate interesting objects. See, for
example, the description (from 1844, but republished more recently) of a
double star n Cassiopeia's left elbow here:
https://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/sigma-%CF%
83-cassiopeiae-a-smalt-blue-jewel-on-the-ladys-shoulder/

Now compare that with the image from
https://artislimited.wordpress.com/tag/home-design-fixture/
which is basically the same, but upside down in relation to the
stars...

Even in an era when star positions were accurately measured, astronomers
like Flamsteed stayed close to the traditional images rather than more
realistic images.

It is difficult to find such artwork, but copies are kept in libraries.
For example, US Naval Observatory has a collection of rare books,
including star atlases dating back to 1603;
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/library/historical/images-of-historical-objects-artwork-in-library/rare-books

Note that some of the old  books such as Poeticon Astronomicon by
Hyginus (1482) represent the star positions adjusted to fit the image,
rather than the other way around...

Finding the right images will be difficult, but I think you can start
with Jamieson's "Celestial Atlas" (30 plates published on UNSO web site)
and "Urania's Mirror" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urania%27s_Mirror)