[Kstars-devel] Adding to Henry Draper list in Kstars?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:00:31 UTC 2015

Hi Steve

That is quite funny. I thought we had all of the stars that had
Henry-Draper designations put into the index. Does the star exist in
KStars? Do you have the Tycho-2 (and maybe also USNO NOMAD) catalog
installed?

In any case, thanks for bringing this to light. It is not very easy to
edit / add to the list, since the index file is a custom-format binary
file that is generated along with the binary catalog files. The index
just points to offset addresses in the star binary file, so if you
need to add to the list, one would need to insert the appropriate
address into the file at the appropriate location. Much rather do it
with the script.

However, I lost the machinery for the generation of these binary files
in an old desktop. Thankfully, I committed much of the scripts to the
repo, so it's only a matter of setting it all up and getting it to
compile, but there are some compilation issues introduced. Jasem and I
have a lot of good reason to set this up again, but it'll have to wait
until one of us has the free time and the patience to do it (unless
you / someone else want to give it a try, of course :D)