[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2016 project proposal: KStars as a star chart generation service?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:07:11 UTC 2015

>> The dream is to then provide this as a service.
>
> Please clarify what a "service" is. Did you mean a web application?

Maybe to start with as a DBus service, some sort of engine that runs
in the background and answers astronomical questions over DBus. Then
maybe extend to an actual web service where this runs on a server and
answers questions over any of the web APIs.

> What features of pp3 are missing in KStars?

KStars can do star chart generation etc. quite well as of now. I'd say
no features of pp3 are missing in KStars except for the fact that
KStars is not a standalone piece of software and needs X11 etc. to
run.