[Kstars-devel] Proposal: Reorganization of menus in KStars?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon May 13 09:32:45 UTC 2013

Hi

We discussed a while ago about how the UI of KStars is somewhat
unintuitive. So to start the process of creating a more intuitive UI,
I'm considering reorganizing our menus.

The changes I can think of at the moment:

1. Move "Observation Planner" from the "Tools" menu to the
   "Observation" menu.

2. Create a new menu called "Data". Move "Download New Data" and the
   "Updates" sub-menu (for comet, asteroid and supernovae updates)
   under the "Data" menu as well.

Here's a screenshot:
http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/13/kstars-proposal_png_750x750_q85.jpg

Is it okay if I make these changes? Any other suggestions?

The other UI change I intend to make is to push the information links
and image links in the popup menu into sub-menus that open with the
individual links.

Also a developer question: We maintain three versions of the KStars UI
XML file that describes the menu layout -- one for *nix, one for
Windows, and one for INDI-enabled *nix, it appears. Is there any way
to ensure consistency across these files? Or is the best way to edit
all three "by hand"?