[Kstars-devel] On the popularity of KStars

Aleksey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 09:49:01 UTC 2013

On 16.03.2013 23:05, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think Aleksey has made very valid points. If we were to rewrite
> KStars today, we would probably separate out the GUI from the catalog
> data from the computational engines, and redesign it very differently.
>
> Unfortunately, our codebase organization is far from ideal, and there
> are no tests written anywhere (except for the ones Rishab wrote).

Surely. But now we cannot afford total rewrite. It will end up in total
disaster. It's however possible to rewrite subsystems one at time and
add tests for new code. It carry risk of breaking things. But if payoff
seems to be large enough or current subsystem is broken anyway it still
worth doing.

>> And all kstars users who happens to read this list. It's great chance
>> to contribute.
>> Please tell us how do you use kstars. Is there something that annoys you.
>> I think it's most important thing right now. Poor user experience is
>> built from minor
>> inconveniences. Is there something that you want to do but can not.
>
> I think this is most important.

May it should be added to Join us section on the site. Currently it
invites only programmers and mentions astroinfo project.

> Also, I have updated the TODO list in the main directory on git, and
> it would be nice if you could add some stuff there too. Especially
> move those bugs which you find particularly annoying from bugs.kde.org
> to the TODO list, so they get more attention.

OK. Will do. But I think it's better to reference bugs from TODO list
not no move them there. TODO is mostly read by KStars developers.