[Kstars-devel] KStars for astrophotography

Aleksey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:01:12 UTC 2012

On 22.10.2012 21:58, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> Yes, I agree that we really need both rotation and mirrored view.
>
> I thought it might be easy to implement if we rewrote the projector
> base class to also perform some sort of a coordinate rotation. Not
> sure if it would be the most efficient way.
>
> I agree that coordinate rotations in polar coordinates are a pain,
> unless we use quaternions. I agree it would be best to move into
> quaternions, but like Alexey points out, that's a rewrite of large
> chunks of code.

But there are a lot of benefits as well

  1. Simplicity and clarity. Since conversion between coordinate systems
is cheap there is no need to cache horizontal/equatorial coordinates. No
need to maintain them in sync. All objects without proper motion become
immutable.

  2. Performance. AFAIR you profiled kstars and projection code took
significant portion of running time.