[Kstars-devel] KStars for astrophotography

Aleksey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:11:55 UTC 2012

On 22.10.2012 13:19, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to discuss a few ideas that emerged as I'm using KStars more
> and more for astrophotography:
>
> 1. Rotation of skymap: it would be great if I can rotate the whole
> skymap. Currently, north is "up", but during imaging, it could be
> different. For example, I just took an image of M33 a few days ago,
> and in the CCD image, north was "left". So it would be great to orient
> KStars to match what I'm seeing in the image. I already added a
> feature to FOV to support the CCD chip orientation, but we need to
> somehow enable to user to rotate the whole skymap. How difficult is
> that?

Another useful feature could be mirrored view.

It's not easy feature in current state of program. Coordinate
transformations are difficult in polar coordinates.
There were discussion about sky point representations and quaternions.
That representation makes it doable but require complete overhaul of KStars.