[Kstars-devel] KStars for astrophotography

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Mon Oct 22 09:19:27 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'd like to discuss a few ideas that emerged as I'm using KStars more
and more for astrophotography:

1. Rotation of skymap: it would be great if I can rotate the whole
skymap. Currently, north is "up", but during imaging, it could be
different. For example, I just took an image of M33 a few days ago,
and in the CCD image, north was "left". So it would be great to orient
KStars to match what I'm seeing in the image. I already added a
feature to FOV to support the CCD chip orientation, but we need to
somehow enable to user to rotate the whole skymap. How difficult is
that?

2. In what's up tonight tool, it would be nice to filter objects based
on minimum & maximum altitude. I can work on this, by default it can
be 0-90, and user can adjust it if desired. Also, it would be great to
add additional option to specify time FROM to TO as "In the Evening"
is not specific enough for my needs.

3. Overlay of SDSS/DSS FITS on skymap. Akarsh suggested this before,
and I recently got another request for it as it can immensely in
imaging. I can work on this feature.

So in short, I can work on #2 & #3, but any ideas on #1?

Regards,
Jasem