[Kstars-devel] FITS Overlay for KStars

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sat Nov 3 18:46:23 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've been working recently on adding FITS images from DSS superimposed
on the sky map, and looking for guidance on how to implement this
feature. Initially, I wanted to add FITS support as an overlay that
gets called by drawOverlays() in SkyMapDrawAbstract, and this would
work, but I was wondering if I should add it as a
skyobject/skycomponent instead? If so, should I create a new
component, or subclass some existing component?

Also, it would be convenient to add a toolbar icon (much like the
recent supernova addition) to toggle FITS overlay with some
user-configurable transparency option. The data itself is huge and the
way I'm trying to approach is to divide the whole sphere in 1 square
degree regions (60x60 arcmin FITS from DSS) and download any region of
interest by demand via the popup menu. Once downloaded, it gets stored
under the user's home directory for future use. Alternatively, we can
prepare a "Get Hot New Stuff" download for all the FITS if someone
desires the download the whole catalog.

Any suggestions are highly welcome!

--
Best Regards,