[Kstars-devel] Some TODO items on my list

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon May 28 20:21:16 UTC 2012

Hi

I'm just jotting down some things I've been wanting to do, and putting
it on the list to get everyone's opinions and so that there is a
record of it.

1. KStars standalone Windows installer -- use the NullSoft scriptable
   install system to create a standalone installer for KStars on
   Windows.

2. Polish and Fix the "Execute" feature -- the Execute feature is used
   to execute an observing session by going through each object in
   succession. It has the ability to slew your telescope as well.

3. Image Overlay on Sky Map -- there are a number of sources for
   plate-solved images, which can be overlayed on the map. Firstly,
   there's DSS and SDSS. There's also astrobin.com whose API is now
   public.

4. Use astrobin for searches in preference to Google -- KStars
   google-searches for images at a lot of places. Astrobin is a
   dedicated "pastebin" for astronomy and has garnered some very good
   images. They have an API that we can use to search and return
   results.

5. Integrate ClearDarkSky.com's observing sites. Possibly add the
   ability to bring in the clear sky charts into KStars. [I've
   obtained permission from Antilla Danko, who runs the site]

6. Integrate the SAC (Saguaro Astronomy Club) catalog into KStars. [We
   have permission from Steve Coe, who owns the copyrights]. We
   already use their NGC/IC data whenever our catalog was
   unreliable. SAC has more objects than just NGC/IC. I guess this
   must wait till Rishab's GSoC is over.

7. Texture map a real Milky Way photograph on the sky in OpenGL mode
   ;-)

8. Polish the star-hopper feature and build a UI for it. (Samikshan
   might do this if he finishes his other objectives early)

There's many more, I'm sure, that I can't remember right now.