[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2012: Project Introduction: Logs and Data

Rishab Arora ra.rishab at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:37:42 UTC 2012

Apologies for the late reply.
Very short version: http://blog.rishab.in/the-log-viewer/

Yes, I plan to separate the storage of observation logs from SkyObject.
>From my current understanding, KStars currently writes the user log to a
file as well as stores it in "userlog.dat" when it needs to save data.
During initialization, the log is read from the text files and stored with
the SkyObject.

In my proposal, I plan to make a separate database in which I will (along
with all required information like seeing, equipment etc) store an
identifier for the star. This identifier could be the 'name' as is being
used currently, but I plan to use the HD index instead so that the logs
aren't limited to a set number of stars. Similarly, a unique identifier
(which will be assigned when I port the DSO catalog to SQLite) will be
used.

Using the name will make it work for all the objects it currently supports
at least.

When the detail dialog will display the log tab, I plan to query the
database and populate a list of logs in a UI similar to this.
http://blog.rishab.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mockup.png

"""
>From UI point. it's very bad to force user to fill in _all_ fields.
Users are lazy and always have strange ideas. It's better to avoid
annoying constraints like: «you'll have to explicitly state all
information».
"""

I agree, but what I was pointing out was that in the current log
implementation, one needs to write these fields if he/she needs them.
In the new implementation, all this will already be filled.

There's a very rough diagram for the user database at
http://blog.rishab.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/user.jpeg . Though not all
fields are represented here, it should show how I plan to store the logs,
and how I plan to retrieve redundant information from KStars instead of
needing the user to type.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions you have. It's better to get
things reviewed before I implement something that is wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. :)

Rishab Arora
(spacetime)
@spacetime29 <https://twitter.com/#%21/spacetime29>
Find me on Google+ <https://plus.google.com/118197889888669218025/posts>