[Kstars-devel] GSoC Idea

Rishab Arora ra.rishab at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:41:01 UTC 2012

Hi! I'm considering applying for GSoC this year and had the following idea
in mind.
I thought I'll share it with everyone and ask for their opinion.

Inspiration:
A few weeks ago, I was with a local amateur astronomers group and we were
discussing the recent mars opposition.
To explain some things, we needed a way to visualize the earth from above
the sun and see how the March opposition is as distant as it could be.
And I realized that this could be a feature for kstars.

What I wish to implement:
Using the openGL backend, a way for the user to observe stars and planets
from:
1) Different elevations of the earth.
2) From the surface of any other planet
3) From any point hovering in space (not bound to any planet)

Also, this would let me add another feature: split-screen mode
In split-screen mode, the user can view the universe from multiple
viewpoints at the same time.
For eg. One could see the said mars opposition hovering above the sun while
watching it simultaneously located on earth.

So? What do you think? (I know there are a lot of unanswered questions
here, but I wanted to ask the community if the idea is worth the effort
first)

Regards,
Rishab Arora