[Kstars-devel] KSTARS

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:15:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 08:37:48PM +0100, Guido Broich wrote:
> I cannot succeed in downloading the USNO NOMAD stars catalogue, I have a
> fast connection and KSTRS is working for 2 days now ... something must
> be wrong.
>
> Con you give me a different direct link please?
>
> thanks

Hi Guido

Many people seem to be reporting this problem. IIRC, we had a problem
with the archive extraction libraries being unable to handle large
files, but I thought that got sorted out.

Any debugging information you can provide (like: how far the download
goes, what exactly happens, does it put a new file in
~/.kde/share/apps/kstars) will help.

The alternate link, though, is:
http://files.kde.org/edu/kstars/download.kde.org/kstars/USNO-NOMAD-1e8-1.0.tar.gz

The final content of the tarball (USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat) should be
typically placed in ~/.kde/share/apps/kstars or /usr/share/apps/kstars
(in a "default" installation)