[Kstars-devel] Plans for threading in KStars

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 20:57:35 UTC 2011

On 30.10.2011 23:30, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> So the idea is that DeepStarComponent::draw() will trigger the worker
> thread to start recalculating positions (EquatorialToHorizontal() is
> the slowest call),

I didn't read your mail thoroughly. But there is one thing that caught
my attention:

EquatorialToHorizontal call contains 3 sincos calls and 1 cos, asin and
acos call each. It's looks quite costly. But effectively it is just
transformation between different reference frames and simply a rotation.

I suppose that representation of point on sphere as two angles doesn't
admit effificent rotation. But this is the case where quaternions should
shine. In this case rotation is just multiplication by another quaternion.

There is a lot food for thoughts. What is best representation of point
on sphere? Are quaternions right solution? If they are how should we
deal with addition degeneracy? (We have 2 degrees of freedom and unit
quaternions which could represesent rotations have 3). Do we have class
set up right? (I think we are not)

Could you put your profiling results somewhere? I'd like to look at them.