[Kstars-devel] GCI 2011

Bruce bruce.harding at faintfuzzies.ca
Sun Oct 16 02:26:50 UTC 2011

On October 15, 2011 08:00:12 AM kstars-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Should KStars do GCI 2011? (Akarsh Simha)
>    2. Fwd: KStars Crashes While loading in Ubuntu 11.10 (Akarsh Simha)
>    3. Re: Fwd: KStars Crashes While loading in Ubuntu 11.10
>       (Akarsh Simha)

> Hi
>
> [This post is speculative]
>
> I just noted that GCI 2011 is going to happen. More likely than not,
> KDE will be offered participation. If that happens, KStars will be
> given a chance to participate.
>
> I just wanted to collect opinions on whether KStars must participate.
>
> In my current opinion, KStars should not. We still have code from
> Code-In 2011 that's lying in the repositories, unmerged. Besides most
> of the things that you can get accomplished in Code-In are
> documentation and small things like that. From last year, I noticed
> that students are usually more focussed on simple tasks to get paid,
> rather than taking larger challenges. KStars has a lot of bugs, and
> fixing them would be a good thing, but most of our bugs are way too
> complicated for pre-university students. So that's my opinion
> (although I really want another T-Shirt!)
>
> Of course, open source is a do-ocracy, and if someone feels they
> should float a task, they should go ahead and do that.
>
> Regards
> Akarsh

If Kstars has a lot to be fixed and fixes in the tree that need to be merged now
I don't see what can be served by joining in GCI 2011, unless by not
participating you might now get funding the following year.

Please take my comments with a pinch of salt as I'm just a user and not part
of the dev team.

--
Bruce
Member: IEEE, SPIE, IACR