[Kstars-devel] Quaternions & Co (was: Plans for threading in KStars)

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:25:57 UTC 2011

On 14.11.2011 20:25, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by Cartesian Coordinates? All objects are
> stuck to the celestial sphere (KStars doesn't know distances to most
> objects, unfortunately), so you could certainly use Cartesian
> Coordinates, with unit norm. But isn't spherical coordinates simpler
> here? Also, we typically would want to be able to show the user
> Altitude and Azimuth of an object.

Well they aren't. Spherical coordinates have singular points (poles) and
any nontrivial transformation require expensive trigonometry.
The whole idea is to avoid it.

We still can return RA/dec and alt/az. But they have to be computed.
These calls became relatively expensive (read: do not use in tight loop)
but they just fine to call once, twice, 100 times...

P.S. I finally started to write down my thoughts on this topic.