[Kstars-devel] Re: Development Platform

Rafał Kułaga rl.kulaga at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:58:23 CEST 2011

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your interest in KStars.

The easiest way to start developing KStars is to install all needed
development packages from your distribution's repository. There's no
need to build everything from source yourself (and, in fact, it's not
recommended). The list of all required packages is available at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Requirements. It's also
recommended to read through "Getting Started" articles at KDE TechBase
- http://techbase.kde.org/.

Basically, you'll need to install Qt library (with development files
and probably debug symbols), KDE libraries (kdelibs, kdelibs-devel)
and of course KDE core files (kdebase, kdebase-devel).

Recently, KDE migrated from SVN to git. If you have never worked with
it, I recommend you a great book "Pro Git" by Scott Chacon. Its online
version is available at http://progit.org/book/. Chapters 1-3 will
probably suffice :-)

KDE uses CMake build system, so you should have a good grasp of it -
its use is covered by articles available at
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/CMake.

For building KStars you will also need linear algebra library Eigen -
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/.

Don't hesitate to ask if you've got problems building KStars.

Cheers,
Rafał Kułaga