[Kstars-devel] Re: Getting Started

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 20:11:28 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Laudis Radium <laudis.radium at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
> Thanks for your reply. I want to develop kstars. I want to help test and add
> more features to kstars. I have worked for many years on C and C++ (But only
> on embedded platforms). I have also worked on (windows based) configuration
> management (version control, build management and so on) tools.
> For kstars, I am using Ubuntu 8.10 distribution of linux.
> I would like to know how to setup the development environment and start
> contributing actively to kstars.

That's just great!

First of all you need to install more recent version of ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10.
8.10 have rather old version of KDE so it's likely that you will have
to build kdelibs
from source

You need following packages. I may forgot something or misspell package name.
Note on naming conventions: packages which contain library headers have "-dev"
suffix and packages with debug symbols have "-dbg" one. Other distribution may
use other suffixes though.

Package list:
 * build-essential
 * g++  [not sure whether build essential pulls it]
 * cmake - build system used by KDE
 * ccmake
 * -dev and -dbg packages for Qt4. Qt4 consists of many packages. Their names
   start with libqt4-...
 * -dev and -dbg packages for kdelibs (I cannot remember their name
   right now). You can build them from sources but installing from repository
   saves efforts.
 * libqt4-assistant [A must. Offline documentation for Qt4]
 * svn
 * git & gitsvn

Currently KDE uses SVN but it is switching to git at the moment. Akarsh, do
you have any updates on it?

Probably best approach is to use gitsvn for time being. It's more
convenient and
you will end up using git anyway.

Anonymous SVN could be accessed here:

$ svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdeedu

There is web interface to svn: http://websvn.kde.org

KDE wiki contain a lot of useful information. Take a look at it

http://techbase.kde.org/