[Kstars-devel] About magnitudes

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:27:37 CEST 2011

So there are a couple problems with our magnitude system.

1. We have very poor ways of conveying the fact that a magnitude is
   undefined.

2. When the data is unavailable for one band (say we don't know the V
   magnitude of a star), we just guess it from the magnitudes in other
   band(s) (we do V = B - 1.6 or something stupid), and we don't tell
   the user about it.

3. We display only V magnitude most of the time, even when other
   magnitude data can be made available -- except for NOMAD stars,
   where we also show B magnitude now.

I think we need a new data type for magnitudes with a way of
specifying an undefined magnitude and a way of saying that a magnitude
is a guess.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a nice, clean way of interpolating between magnitudes
in various bands (UBVRIJHK)?