[Kstars-devel] Support PPMXL?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 02:02:20 CEST 2011

Hey

There's a relatively new catalog called PPMXL, which contains stars
down to mag 20 with proper motions and J, H, K, B, R, I magnitudes
(wherever available) as I'm given to understand:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.5852

What do you think of supporting it in KStars? [Yes, I agree, we should
fix existing bugs, but really, I'm lazy to work on those now-a-days
:P]

1. Do you know of any binary versions of the catalog? (Eg: in USNO-A
   format, or maybe USNO-B format if there exists such a format)?

2. Should we use KStars' binary format or some other binary format? I
   would prefer we use an existing binary version of the catalog if it
   does exist in the first place.

3. Do you think implementing this is feasible / useful? [Say, as a
   GSoC project]