[Kstars-devel] A possible solution to the problem of trying to draw too many stars in the Sagittarius region

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 14:04:06 CEST 2011

Hi

If you set the star density slider to anything substantial, you'll see
KStars hang in the Sagittarius region, because it's trying to draw too
many stars.

The star density slider, really, isn't controlling the star density,
but rather the limiting magnitude.

I propose that we tabulate, for each trixel, the number of stars up to
each integer increment in limiting magnitude (i.e. we have a look-up
table: nStars[trixel][round(limiting magnitude) - 10]), so we actually
control the star density, instead of controlling the limiting
magnitude.

I know this is bad, because what you really want to control is the
limiting magnitude, but I can't think of a better way to avoid this
avalanche of stars. (Also, note that we have large catalog artifact
patches in Sagittarius.)

What do you folks think?