[Kstars-devel] GSoC 2011 project

Bruce lists at faintfuzzies.ca
Tue Aug 30 02:58:31 UTC 2011

On August 29, 2011 02:59:24 PM Akarsh Simha wrote:
> > I look forward to this in a future version of kstars.  It will really
> > make my observing sessions more productive.  It would have been very
> > useful on Friday night when I was trying to track down
> > http://goo.gl/IyK7o PTY11LKY.  :-)
>
> Hey Bruce
>
> Yes, this GSoC was almost based off your ideas. In fact, we used your
> chart as a template.
>
> Talking about observing, I too saw PTF11kly on Saturday. Here's what I
> used:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/43846774@N02/6079812340/
>
> Also, KStars now plots supernovae. I've not checked if PTF11kly has
> come in. But part of the idea is to alert the user of new supernovae
> above a certain magnitude.
>
> Regards
> Akarsh

If the weather hold me and a fellow observer will be going to track that
supernova down tomorrow at this location http://www.gatineauglidingclub.ca/
nice quite spot with good horizons.  This site is not as dark as some
locations I use, but it is conveniently close to home.

I'd like to thank eveyone on the Kstars team for taking my suggestion
seriously and making it reality and particularly Rafał Kułaga for putting into
practice.

I hope that this will be more great feature that has take this project from a
basic educational tool to a useful to tool for all amateur astronomers.

Who knows maybe over the winter I can come up with another useful idea for
GSoC 2012? :-) It is the least I can do since I do not have any programming
skills to offer.

--
Bruce
Member: IEEE, SPIE, IACR